How may we tempt you?

At Hotec, we promise that the prices offered on our website are the best available anywhere.

News-Left Sidebar

Visitor Centre and Girls School

August 23, 2019 By 0 Comment
Visitor Centre and Girls School

The Visitor Centre was originally built as a Girls School by Seigneur Ernest Le Pelley in 1841, completing the project which had been envisaged by his brother Pierre Le Pelley in consultation with his good friend Rev Cachemaille, which was to use to the best advantage for Sark’s community the surplus of money being generated by the new silver mining venture. The School mistress was to be appointed by the…

Find Out More

La Coupee

August 23, 2019 By 0 Comment
La Coupee

  Is an Isthmus (narrow strip of land with sea either side) made up of sedimentary rock. The rock is made up of sediments of various types of rock but is crumbly and the sea is eroding both sides of the this walkway. Until 1900 there were no railings extending the whole length and on windy days the school children would crawl over the crumbling path on their hands and…

Find Out More

Ramsar Site and Gouliot Headland

August 23, 2019 By 0 Comment
Ramsar Site and Gouliot Headland

The Gouliot Headland is a RAMSAR site (it gained this status on 9th April 2007), recognised worldwide as a Wetland of International importance under the International Ramsar Convention. This recognises and protects the thriving wealth of species of this special Marine environment. The Gouliot Caves, a large sea cave system on the Sark side of the Gouliot passage. Gouliot caves lie to the right of the small headland which is…

Find Out More

Window in the Rock

August 23, 2019 By 0 Comment
Window in the Rock

250FT DROP – WARNING In the 1850s, Rev Collings was Seigneur of Sark. He inherited the title from his Mother Marie in 1853. His mother brought the Fief in 1852 from Pierre Le Pelley (The 2nd one) who was forced to sell to repay the debts of his father. Debts which accrued through the folly to mine Silver. He encouraged this further, seeing the benefit of having additional revenue stream….

Find Out More

La Seigneurie

August 23, 2019 By 0 Comment
La Seigneurie

Today’s main house dates from 1675 and has been home to two of Sark’s three Seigneurial families: the Le Pelleys (from 1730) and the Collings (from 1852), ancestors of our current Seigneur Because the Seigneurie, residence of the Seigneur, in 1730 when Susanne Le Pelley became the Dame of Sark. Rather then move to the Manoir she chose to stay in her own residence, La Perronnerie. She gave Le Manoir…

Find Out More

Creux Harbour

August 23, 2019 By 0 Comment
Creux Harbour

visit the old harbour, Creux.  The original entrance to the bay was blasted through the rock in 1588 and is still in the same position today.  The main entrance that we now use, along with the protective harbour wall was not built until 1866.  This harbour allowed easy access to Jersey. The Creux harbour is mainly used by local fishermen now, the service boat will use the harbour if the…

Find Out More

A Dream of a Show

August 22, 2019 By 0 Comment
A Dream of a Show

Oddsocks outdoor theatre company were on Sark this week for two performances of their brilliant and very funny version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. In less than four hours they constructed their stage in the amphitheatre at the Seigneurie and delighted the audiences with their energy, music and humour. Duke Theseus’s palace had the decorators in and these became the rude mechanicals who collided with the eloping lovers, fairies, Titania,…

Find Out More

Le Manoir

August 20, 2019 By 0 Comment
Le Manoir

Helier de Carteret found the ruins of this property when he landed on Sark in 1563. He rebuilt this property and carved his coat of arms into the stone just below the roof in the top left hand corner of the main house. The cottages to the right were built by Helier as servants quarters. Le Manoir remained the residence of the Seigneur on the island until 1730 and The…

Find Out More

L’Eperquerie

August 20, 2019 By 0 Comment
L’Eperquerie

L’Eperquerie Common is the open healthland on the top of the northern headland. The monks (present on Sark between the 6th and 14th centuries) used the openness of the Common to dry their fish and conger eels on wooden stakes. The old Norman French word for the stake was ‘perques’, giving the headland its name. The Eperquerie Landing was the main port until Creux harbour was opened up in 1588….

Find Out More

Mervyn Peake Blue Plaque unveiling

August 12, 2019 By 0 Comment
Mervyn Peake Blue Plaque unveiling

A TRIBUTE TO MERVYN PEAKE OF A BLUE PLAQUE A tribute to the late Artist and Author Mervyn Peake, a Blue Plaque is being erected at the Gallery Stores in the Avenue on the 30th August The Blue Plaque recognises those who have made an important contribution to the bailiwick of Guernsey and the world generally. Sark is proud to announce that its first Blue Plaque will be to commemorate…

Find Out More