Visitor Centre and Girls School
The Visitor Centre was originally built as a Girls School by Seigneur Ernest Le Pelley in 1841, completing the project which had been envisaged by his brother Pierre Le Pelley in consultation with his good friend Rev Cachemaille, which was to use to the best advantage for Sark’s community the surplus of money being generated by the new silver mining venture.
The School mistress was to be appointed by the Trustees but was never to be a native of Sark. She was to teach English, French, Arithmetic, Needlework and other useful occupations, the Principles of religion and good manners.
When foundations were dug it turned out that it was built on top of the island’s first cemetery, 26th April 1841 first stone laid by the Seigneurs wife.
The School was used up until the year 2005, and was then turned into the Tourism offices and centre for information, which is now called the Visitor Centre.