The original Girls School.
The Visitor Centre was originally built as a Girls' School in 1841 by Seigneur Ernest Le Pelley. It was part of a project, envisaged by his brother, Pierre Le Pelley lll and Rev Cachemaille, whereby surplus money being generated by the new silver mining venture would be used to benefit Sark’s community.
When foundations were dug it was discovered that this was in fact the site of the Island’s first cemetery.
The Girls' School eventually became the co-ed Infant & Junior School until 2005 when the new school opened and it was turned into the Tourism Centre & Societe Sercquaise Heritage Room.