Chief Pleas Building
The original Boys School.
The Chief Pleas building was originally the Boys' School and later became the co-ed Senior School.
Today the building houses Sark's court room and Parliament, Chief Pleas, which sat for the first time in 1579, consisting of the Seigneur and the Tenants.
Until the 1920s only the Tenants and the Seigneur had a seat in Chief Pleas. Residents appealed to the Lieutenant Governor in Guernsey and finally in 1954 12 People’s Deputies were elected.
Sark remained the last feudal state in existence in Europe until 2008 when the Island changed its constitution to form a new democracy.